This is a vegetarian’s dream! It’s chock full of nutrient’s, filling, and healthy! This Weight Watchers recipe is only 1 smart point per serving! And bursting with flavor! Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers with Harissa paste is one of those recipes that have made it to our regular menu in my house and it will in yours too!
It seemed weird to put an egg on the top but it was neat to watch it cook in the oven. Make sure to create a little area for the egg to sit in so it doesn’t slide off. The whole family got involved in this one. It was a lot of fun!
The chickpeas made it feel like we were eating meat for my meat loving family. But if your family really balks at a meat-free meal, check out the bell pepper taco bake. Also, be aware that harissa sauce, which is a key ingredient in this recipe, is spicy! Originally from Tunisia, harissa sauce is usually made with a variety of hot peppers and other herbs and spices. If you’re not into spicy food, you may want to consider a milder sauce or use tomatoes or other bell peppers as the base instead.
This tasty dish originally came from Weight Watchers. I love adapting their recipes to suite my family’s tastes without increasing the point value! Be sure to check out my other Weight Watchers recipes. The difference with this one is that I did was use garlic salt instead of regular salt and I mixed the harissa right into the pan instead of spooning it on top of each one. (What can I say, we like the spice!)
My biggest challenge with this recipe was finding a baking dish to fit 6 peppers. My Corning Ware 4-quart casserole dish worked perfectly.
This is a great meal to prepare beforehand and toss in the oven to bake when you get home from work. If you make it early in the week, you’ll have leftovers to bring for lunch. Or you could freeze them and have an easy reheat meal on nights when you’re too busy to cook.
|Prep Time||15 Minutes|
|Cook Time||40 Minutes|
|Passive Time||40 Minutes|
- 6 Medium Bell Peppers colored or green
- 1 Medium Onion diced
- 3/4 tsp Garlic Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Ground Tumeric
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 3 Cups Fresh Spinach chopped
- 3/4 cups Canned Chickpeas drained
- 6 Medium eggs
- 6 tsp Chives finely chopped
- 6 Tbsp Harissa Paste
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- LIne baking sheet with foil and spray with nonstick spray
- Slice LENGTHWISE each pepper, leaving stem and bottom in tact. Basically, making an opening to fit the mixture and egg in. Scoop out the membranes and seeds. Set bell peppers on pan with the cut side face up. Cover loosely with tinfoil and bake 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dice up reserved bell pepper pieces. Over medium-low heat, sautee diced bell peppers, onion, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Cook, stirring frequently for 7 minutes.
- Add turmeric, garlic powder, cuminj and cinnamon and toss to combine.
- Add spinach and chickpeas. Toss to combine and remove from heat.
- Remove peppers from oven. Put peppers in a baking dish. Divide the mixture evenly among the peppers.
- Reduce oven to 375°.
- Crack one egg onto each pepper. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Bake uncovered until egg whites are set (about 20 minutes).
- Sprinkle with chives and spoon harissa paste over top.
Have you used harissa sauce in other dishes? We’d love to hear from you! Share your recipes in the comments below.