With a name like Healthy Bell Pepper Taco Boat Bake, you wouldn’t think this one was healthy even if it has the word “healthy” in it, but it IS! And it sure doesn’t taste like it or look it! We love Mexican food, especially tacos, but since going on Weight Watchers, I thought I couldn’t have that fabulous favorite. Then I found this recipe – it’s just 7 Weight Watchers smart points per serving! We’re adding it to our weekly meal plan.
I originally found these as an appetizer and they could work for either a meal or an appetizer – they’re so tasty and filling. My family at the entire 9X13 pan in one sitting with no guilt! Using bell peppers instead of taco shells makes the easier to eat than traditional tacos too! Instead of the shell cracking and crumbling with every bite and the delicious contents spilling out, the bell peppers stay together and hold the Mexican goodness inside.
Note: if you add 2 Tbsp of light sour cream to this, it adds an additional 2 smart points.
|Prep Time||20 Minutes|
|Cook Time||15 Minutes|
|Passive Time||15 Minutes|
- 4 Medium Bell Peppers red, yellow, orange and green
- 1 Pound Ground Turkey 99% Fat Free cooked and drained
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup Medium Salsa I use Hannaford Salsa
- 1 cup Light Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Brown and drain ground turkey, making sure to break it up as it cooks.
- Once turkey is drained, return to pan and add seasonings and salsa. Mix well.
- Meanwhile, cut peppers length wise on the ridges, normally 5-6 pieces per pepper. Remove seeds and membrane.
- Place peppers in a 9x13 pan sprayed pan spray with the insides facing up to form boats.
- Evenly fill peppers with turkey mixture.
- Cover evenly with shredded cheddar.
- Cover pan with tin foil and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake an additional 5 minutes.
Healthy Bell Pepper Taco Boat Bake For Vegetarians
Try a vegetarian twist with legumes or refried beans instead of turkey meat. Use vegan cheese or no cheese to make them a gluten-free vegan Mexican dish your whole family will love. Either way, this healthy bell pepper taco boat bake is a tasty, gluten-free, healthy solution to your taco cravings. You can eat them on Weight Watchers or any other diet plan without blowing your calorie count. Best of all, your family won’t balk at eating them either.
It’s a great meal to bring to parties or other potluck events too. The bell pepper tacos are sure to be a hit with every age group. And you can play around with the herbs and spices to get the exact amount of spice and heat you’re looking for.
We love Mexican food, especially tacos! This bell pepper taco substitution is a new favorite in my house. I think they will be a hit in your home too. Try them tonight for dinner and let me know!
What healthy dishes do you make?