This recipe was based on the Weight Watchers Italian Turkey and Spaghetti Squash Pie recipe. We love spaghetti squash so really wanted to experiment but the pie seemed like it wouldn’t make a lot for our family. We LOVE leftovers! They’re great for my husband and I to take to work.
To change the recipe into a lasagna, I basically doubled most ingredients. The first time I made it, it was delicious but a little bland for our taste buds. This is what we did to make it into a thing of beauty for us and we kept it healthy at just 3 Weight Watchers smart points a serving.
Spaghetti squash is great to use instead of noodles. It’s healthier and has fewer carbs. We think it tastes better too! There’s something earthy and delicious in spaghetti squash that you don’t get from regular pasta.
We’ve got friends who really love spicy food. Instead of using mild salsa, they make it with medium or hot salsa for an added kick. If you’re not a fan of spicy food, you can also leave out the salsa and use more diced tomatoes instead.
For a vegetarian version, try using teff, firm tofu or lentils instead of ground turkey. No matter how you make it, it’s a yummy, filling dinner that’s great for large families or plenty of leftovers. And even though it’s super healthy, my daughter devours it the same way she would a noodle lasagna – I bet your kids will too!
|Prep Time||20 Minutes|
|Cook Time||60 Minutes|
|Passive Time||60 Minutes|
- 1 Large Spaghetti Squash 5 cups cooked and "shredded"
- 1 Pound Ground Turkey 99% Fat Free browned and drained
- 1 Large Onion diced
- 2 tsp Minced Garlic
- 1 14 Ounce Can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Cup Mild Salsa
- 2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 12 Ounces Fat Free Ricotta Cheese
- 2 Large eggs beaten
- 2 tsp Garlic Salt
- 1 Cup Fat Free Mozzarella Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Microwave spaghetti squash for 6 minutes to soften a little.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half and spoon out seeds and strings.
- Add half an inch water to a large pan. Place spaghetti squash with cut side down. Bake for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brown ground turkey. Make sure to break up turkey as it browns. Drain grease. Move to one side of the pain.
- Mix together 2 beaten eggs and the ricotta until blended smooth.
- Add diced onions to the empty side of the pan and place this half over heat. Place minced garlic on top of onions. (I do this to avoid dirtying another dish and to keep the turkey hot.)
- Place diced tomatoes and salsa on top of the cooked turkey burger. Add garlic salt and italian seasoning to the top of diced tomatoes and salsa.
- Sautee onions until they begin to look translucent, about 5 minutes. Mix together the turkey mixture and the onion mixture. Turn to low and simmer for 10 minutes (or while you are preparing the spaghetti squash base).
- Remove cooked spaghetti squash from oven and increase the heat to 375º.
- Press the spaghetti squash evenly in to the bottom of the pan and half way up the sides.
- Add ricotta mixture and spread evenly on top of the spaghetti squash.
- Top evenly with the turkey mixture.
- Gently use a fork to scrape the insides out. This will make spaghetti shaped strands. Place 5 cups in a pan sprayed 9x13 dish.
- Cover with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
What did you think? Would you change it in any way? We’d love your thoughts!