This vegetarian orzo and spinach soup recipe came from our companion site, Sisters Know Best. It’s the perfect meal to serve in a bread bowl but without the bread bowl it’s a slim 5 smart points per serving with the Weight Watchers tracking system! Orzo and spinach seem very Greek and this soup would be great paired with a greek salad with extra feta! mmm! It’s light and refreshing but also perfect for a chilly evening to warm the soul. So it’s basically great any time of year! And soup is a great way to warm-up on a chilly evening.
This vegetarian recipe can have a lot of variety with fresh produce from the garden. Adding things like zucchini or Summer squash give this an interesting flavor. If you’re not in the mood for a vegetarian meal, try adding meat like chicken or sausage. If you do add meat be aware that it will increase the number of smart points for this meal.
In my house this is become a favorite among everyone, while it’s not on our weekly list of meals, we do still eat it quite frequently. I also enjoy that this meal can be made in the slow cooker ahead of time. This means that I don’t have to stop work early or race home to cook a good meal.
Vegetarian Orzo and Spinach Soup in the Freezer
I haven’t tried it, but I think the soup would also freeze well, making it a great meal to have ready to go anytime. Try changing up the spice mixes for different flavor. Perhaps adding a bit of heat such as red pepper flakes would be tasty.
|Prep Time||10 Minutes|
|Cook Time||12 Minutes|
- 1 Small Onion peeled and diced
- 1 Cup Celery diced
- 3 Cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 6 Cups Vegetable or Chicken Broth (Fat Free)
- 1 14 Ounce Can Fire-Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- 1 1/2 Cups Orzo Pasta
- 1/2 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1/4 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1/4 tsp Dried Rosemary
- 4 Cups Fresh Spinach loosely packed
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Spray bottom of large pot.
- Dice onions and place in a large pot on medium heat.
- Dice carrots and celery and add to pot.
- Mince garlic and add to pot.
- Add 6 cups of vegetable stock.
- Add fire roasted diced tomatoes and orzo.
- Add thyme, oregano and rosemary.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for 10 minutes, until orzo is cooked.
- Add spinach and cook for 2 minutes.
- My vegetable stock was unsalted so I added garlic salt and a pepper medley to mine to bring out the flavors.
- My boyfriend wanted meat so he added precooked Jimmy Dean turkey sausage.
What other ideas do you have to dress up this soup in different ways? We love to hear from our fellow cooks! Let us know how you liked the soup and what other great ideas you have for it. Happy eating and happy cooking!